Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Passover Beans

As a Newbie Jew, or Jewbie, I am always thinking about how to create a home for my children that is clearly Jewish while still being able to, um, eat Easter candy. I mean, come on! Don't even get me started on Cadbury, what with the Creme Eggs and the Mini Eggs and now the Mini Creme Eggs, and all the variations of cremes and eggs that a girl could ever dream off.... drooooollllll... But, we don't celebrate Easter. And there were bags of Jolly Rancher and SweeTart jellybeans looking all lovely and springy and just begging to come home with me. So, come home with me they did (that sounds like yoda-speak. And by the way, according to the Which Star Wars Character Are You? on FB, I am Yoda. Or rather, Yoda I am.). I will train my daughters to associate jellybeans with Springtime! Easter, schmeaster.

Also have been thinking about coloring and decorating eggs, which is so fun. A hard-boiled egg features on the Passover Seder plate, so I think I can somehow rock it Modern Jew-style. Maybe decorate eggs with images of the 10 plagues? Little frogs, locusts... um, death... Still working on it. Stay tuned.

And I still have to figure out how to sell everyone on the idea of Hanukkah Angels, so I can bust out my collection of Wendt und Kuhn orchestra angels. That's a tough one.

So here are the happy springy beans who live with us (though their numbers are dwindling, as they suffer from an incurable outbreak of Delicious-itis).



Delma noticed them the second she walked into the room. For some reason she calls jellybeans "magic beans."


Then began the coveting of the magic beans.


And the smelling of the magic beans.


And the "Why can't I have the magic beans?"


And the "Screw you, Mom, I am taking the magic beans."


And then, because it was lunchtime, she asked for a spoon so that she could feed her magic beans their lunch. She didn't try to eat them, she just wanted to love and nurture them. I guess we're doing something right after all.

2 comments:

Gillian said...

You make me laugh so much!! Hanukkah Angels, Passover eggs, you can do it all, Heide, in my experience Jews are highly accomodating and not overly concerned about these things. lots of love from me and the boys and almost-girl (one week to go!) xoxoxoo gillian

Patty said...

Heide, I love your blog and your girls are gorgeous. Love from Patty Kahn