Tuesday, November 11, 2008

deer

We live in a raised ranch, and the windows in our family room downstairs sit right at ground level with our front yard. The other day I saw something out of the corner of my eye while I was down there (probably nursing Mimi and watching CSI, I do a lot of that), and looked up to see a deer eating some little weeds growing just inches from the window. We live in the woods and have deer in our yard all the time, but I've never been quite that close to one. It was beautiful.

A while later I went out to get the mail, and the deer were still there, next to the driveway. Two of them put their tails up and bounded off a bit away from me, but one of them just stayed there. She didn't even flinch, her tail didn't go up, not defensive reaction whatsoever. So I just stood there for a bit, checking her out. She started coming closer, and I put my hand out and she came even closer. She was only about 20 or 30 feet away when I realized I was holding the baby and if the deer panicked and charged me or something, that would be a very bad thing.

I don't know if she'd been handled as a baby or what, but she really was sweet and wanted to come up to me. It was so cool. I went in to grab my camera and took some pics as they continued munching away in our swamp.

No comments: