Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Good Day

Today was a good day. We spent some time with family, celebrating my dad's 71st birthday. Mimi had some cranky periods, but also had a few long alert, happy, cute, interactive periods too. Both girls took long naps at the same time, which gave me some long overdue time to tackle a little home decor project and do some cleaning. It all just felt very normal for the first time in a long time, it was so quiet and domestic and lovely.

We also met with a highly recommended and very nice house cleaner, and decided to give her a try. I'm looking forward to cutting myself some slack in the cleaning department, and having a tidy and good-smelling house every Friday so I can comfortably invite over guests on weekends without freaking out about the state of my home.

We finally decided to hire someone to do some painting, tiling, and little random repair tid-bits. It's mostly work in our downstairs family room, which has never really looked good or complete or cohesive. I have some cute but simple and not super-expensive decorating ideas to make it look snazzy once the repairs are all done. That, along with some plans to repaint our bedroom and office, is making me feel like our little house is finally coming together and feeling like a nice place to be for the foreseeable future. Next year we'll have to start putting some time and energy into the exterior and landscaping, which we've been totally ignoring. But I can't think too much about that yet, or else I'll feel way too overwhelmed. I just have to take it one little project at a time and hope I can keep up the momentum. Slow and steady.

No comments: