Sunday, November 2, 2008

Resolutions revisited

I remembered today that I made some New Year's Resolutions back in January. But I couldn't even remember what they were. That's not good. Here they are, with a status update:

1. Finish organizing our utility room

Well, we did this. And then it all got trashed again and needs to be de-cluttered again. I'm thinking that this is probably something that will never end.

2. Finish our little odds-and-ends fix-up projects (tile in family room; replace all icky goldy brassy door hardware with brushed nickel; paint doors; paint office; paint family room)

I actually just started getting quotes this past week to get the bulk of this work done. Josh and I have finally realized that though these are projects we could do ourselves, we just do not have the time now that we have a baby and want to spend our weekends with our children.

3. Plant a vegetable garden

Did not happen. Not even any container vegetable plants! All I managed were a few sad little Morning Glories to climb trellises. That was a good experiment, and I'll know better next year how to get fuller coverage where I want those flowers to climb.

4. Learn how to use the fancy features on our fancy camera, so I can take better pictures

I downloaded this document that some dude wrote, all about my camera and how to make full use of the features, but I haven't read it. Hmpf.

5. Plan weekly meals, shop accordingly, try new recipes (started already, more on this soon in another post)

I started to do this, but very early in the year when my pregnancy started getting rough and I was feeling like shit every day and never knew more than 10 minutes in advance what I'd be able to stomach for dinner, this pretty much fell apart. Now that time and the budget are tighter, I've started revisiting this, so I can shop smarter and plan meals.

6. Make a quilt

I started cutting pieces for the quilt top months ago, and then forgot all about it. I have all great yellow and grey patterns that will look very cool when I finally get my act together and finish!

So... I didn't do so great, despite my very humble and achievable goals. That's disappointing. Now I feel this pressure to cram it all in before the end of December! We'll see.

In the meantime, I can celebrate the completion of a baby quilt by my girlfriend Moira, a gift for my wee Mimi:


"Why, I oughtta..."

No comments: